Thursday, February 22, 2018
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Sherman United Methodist Church
2214 Ridge Avenue, Evanston, Illinois
Dinner will be served beginning at 5:00 p.m. The program will start at 6:00 p.m.
Presenter: Rev. Dr. Stephen G. Ray Jr., President of Chicago Theological Seminary
- The Black Power Movement –“Say it loud…”
- Gil Scott-Heron’s poem “The Revolution will not be televised”
- Black Liberation Theology
- Power of the Black Press – Lotus Press (Detroit), Third World Press (Chicago)
- Neo-Redeemers and the assault on Civil Rights
- Paving the way for the election of President Barack Obama: the Congressional Black Caucus, Shirley Chisholm’s run for President, “Run Jesse Run!” “You Want Harold?”
- Challenges and successes of Barack and Michele Obama – Black Lives Matter, No Justice No Peace, the Affordable Health Care Act
Exhibits will include materials from Sherman’s archives and library book collection. Most resources were donated by church members and from the collection of Dr. Gessel Berry, Jr. (Garrett Theological Seminary, 1971).